Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Bodies Falling in the Snow

The car and I had stopped to get our bearings and to get a new reading on where our quarry was and perhaps to get a little egg nog. It was Christmas, after all. Unfortunately, we had the bad luck to appear right in the middle of some sort of ruckus. I decided to listen in and find out what was going on before taking any action. When I heard a crash, I dashed over to see what was going on. It was then that I saw the two legs sticking out from under the treads of a bulldozer. Ignoring everything else (the police were already on the case), I went over to the bulldozer operator who was shouting at a man who had somehow survived a three-story fall.

"Hey Mac!" said the bulldozer operator, though not to me, "What's goin' on? Bodies are fallin' all over the place! And I think I ran over one of them!"

I stopped in my tracks. He thought he ran over one of them? There was a pair of shins poking out from under the treads of his bulldozer, and he just thought he ran over one of them? It was obvious I was in a place where sanity had long ago lost its hold, and so I went back to my car.

"Where to, Captain?" said the car. I really should give it a name at some point.

"Anywhere but here, car. Anywhere but here."

No comments: